Earth Day has come and gone but you may still be wondering what else you can do to help the environment. Here is one way you can help the environment and yourself without compromising either.
Paint your house or property with a cool building coating called Super Therm. Cool building coatings are typically used on a commercial flat roof. But they can be used as an exterior paint as well, with many of the same benefits. Super Therm is the most effective insulation and weatherization coating on the market.
Here at Better Painting, I work hard to bring you better looking, longer lasting results. One way I do that is through high performance products. Super Therm works as a paint, insulation, weather and vapor barrier in one. It offers an incredible value. You can improve your whole home for half the cost of a kitchen remodel. You can improve your quality of life and lower your cost of living at the same time.
Energy Secretary Chu has publicly endorsed this method of energy reduction. It’s also been a featured topic on a couple White House blogs. Bob Villa has specifically featured Super Therm on one of his shows (check it out on YouTube). All that to say this concept is not new and has some significant science and backing behind it. You can trust it to work for you, too.
What are the benefits to using Super Therm?
Because Super Therm cools and protects the surface, it:
- Reduces the temperature inside the building it covers by 7-10 degrees. That equates to a 39% drop in cooling costs.
- Reduces the surface temperature by 20-60 degrees or more
- Increases the effective “R” value of insulation
- Increases the efficiency of HVAC units
- Saves on the cost of air conditioning since there is less to cool
- Results in lower energy costs overall to your property by reducing your “peak electrical demand” level
- Creates a more comfortable interior environment
- Slows premature aging due to high surface temperatures and UV degradation
- Results in reduced respiratory health risks and the risk of heat-related deaths, especially in a “Heat Island” area
- Is a complete weather barrier, keeping out unwanted air, moisture and heat.
- Wide variety of colors to choose from
- Has a Class “A” fire rating
And it’s environmentally friendly (“green”) because it:
- Reduces landfill materials—at least 10% of landfill waste is made up of roofing materials. Energy Star rates Super Therm as a 20 year product.
- Saves energy by 20% or more on the total bill, both for the building owner, and for the utility supplier
- Reduces the carbon footprint of the building by reducing the CO2 emissions
- Minimizes the environmental burden
- Certified “Cradle to Cradle”
Benefits of Super Therm for Architects
Architects and Roof Consultants can specify a simple, green, sustainable solution that saves building owners and facility managers money, eases installation for contractors and satisfies Title 24 and LEED requirements.
The cost of applying Super Therm is a good investment
Applying a cool building coating is an excellent investment. If the installation costs for a cool building coating are slightly higher in certain situations, the long-term benefits can pay back exponentially, by providing:
- Longer roof life, better durability—coatings protect the roof substrate from destructive UV. Super Therm blocks 99% of UV rays.
- Reduced maintenance costs over the life of the exterior; and coatings can provide the added bonus of being a water-resistant barrier.
- Super Therm is certified to withstand wind driven rain up to 84mph. It is not effected by normal dirt accumulation.
- Better budget management due to predictable life extension–the opportunity to re-coat the roof rather than replace it
- Reduced installation risks
- Minimal disruption to the occupants, operations during application, construction process, saving money in areas other than the roofing materials and application itself
- A more desirable and comfortable work environment inside the building
- Energy credits, tax savings, rebates
This is a wonderful opportunity to consider doing something for yourself, your family and the environment. You can pass this along to friends and business associates as truly valuable information. We all want to do our part to lower our dependence on foreign oil. Getting the word out about Super Therm is one way we can all do a little.